Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Tile Madness continues!

OK so here is where we stand. The floor is done - ADORABLE black & white rosettes:

fig. a - fracking adorable. I simply cannot stand how cute they are

PLEASE excuse the truly godawful quality of these pictures. I took them with my Sidekick because I cannot find the charger for my real camera. So these are just kind of samples, I have no wide-angle lens so can't get the whole room.

So anyway the walls have finally been laid out (except for the niches which have to be created and the soap ledge I may or may not decide to have) at least as far as the accent tiles go. Happy is a fucking genius and managed to combine the sameys* with the differentys** to make one coherent layout that magically transitions from one to the next in such a way that they look like they go together! Even when they are obviously different!! I am in awe. This is why she's an interior decorator and I am... not.

fig. b - see how she put the sailboat scene next to the sleigh ride, which you would not think matches, and yet it works? genius, I say!

OT: Why does Blogger insist on putting the images at the top of the post every time I insert them? It's quite irksome. I suppose this is the price I pay for being lazy and using Blogger's image storage instead of hosting them myself. Nonetheless. Onward!

fig c. - I didn't even like this one that much when I got it, and now it's one of my favorites!!

fig. d - I wasn't even sure the fifty-thousand different shades of white in these tiles wouldn't clash with the field tile. And yet? Looks awesome!

Oh and then we put the bittys*** in a row on the outside of the tub.

fig. e - I am starting to feel like some kind of advertisement, but Radek did an amazing job here!!

This whole thing is going to look so cool when it's done, I can't wait!!! Even the chair rail (as Radek calls it) aka crown molding (as Happy calls it) thrills me, it's so exquisite looking. I am so, SO glad I went with Subway ceramics, these tiles are approximately one hundred times nicer than all the other subway tiles I looked at. They fit so closely together, hardly any grout is going to show (not only is it historically accurate - not that it really matters because my entire building was redone in 1981, but I far prefer the Victorian style, thank you! - but it just looks so much better than these nasty 1/8" grout lines in modern subway tile installations). And they have all the pieces so there's much less mitering involved. (Which reminds me - I'd better find out whether they've made my light switch cover plate (2C89RR) yet!)
----------------------------------------------
* - for the explanation of these highly technical terms, see previous post
** - ibid.
*** - ibid.

No comments:

Post a Comment